Can you believe it’s already Valentine’s Day tomorrow?!! We love the idea of making a homemade gift for somebody, so we thought we’d give you another little gift idea that you can quickly make in time for tomorrow. As you may have seen we recently posted a recipe for stained glass heart cookies but if your significant other prefers cupcakes and you’re in a bit of a hurry to make a quick home-baked gift, then why not give this recipe a go instead?!
These cupcakes were so simple to make and they taste and look great. The cute love heart shapes and the pink strawberry icing are perfect for Valentine’s Day! We used a basic chocolate cupcake recipe from the Dr.Oetker website and then decorated them by following a BBC Food buttercream recipe and adding food colouring and strawberry flavouring. Everyone loves chocolate dipped strawberries and these cupcakes combine those two flavours perfectly. The recipe is meant to make around 16 cupcakes, although for our cakes we needed them to rise well, so we instead used all of the mixture for 8 cupcakes.
110g Caster Sugar
75g Self-Raising Flour
25g Cocoa Powder
280g Icing Sugar
1-2 tbsp Milk
Few drops pink food colouring
1 tsp Strawberry Flavouring
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C and place 8 cake cases into a cupcake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar then gradually beat in the eggs.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder until all ingredients are mixed.
- Use a tablespoon to share out the mixture between the cases, then bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen.
- Leave to cool slightly then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the icing by beating the butter into a bowl until soft. Then add half the icing sugar and beat to make a smooth icing. Add the rest of the icing sugar and some milk if needed. Stir in the food colouring and flavouring.
- Once cooled, use a knife to carefully cut the tops of the cakes off, then use a small heart shaped cutter and cut a shape out of the cake top.
- Spread some of the strawberry buttercream onto the cake, then place the top of the cake with the heart removed onto it. You can also place the cut out heart onto the top of the cake as you can see in our photos!
- Lightly dust the cakes with sieved icing sugar and present them to a loved one for a cute homemade Valentine’s gift!
Unfortunately we didn’t have ANY Valentine’s themed cupcake cases in our cupboard, which is so annoying because we were so sure we had some and we didn’t have time to get any before baking these. That being said, at this time of year we’re pretty sure you’ll be able to find some cute love heart cases or even just simple red or pink cases. We had to settle for fairy ones but hey, they’re pink and they’re still cute!
The great thing about these cupcakes is that they don’t require any piping. We often get comments on our baking posts with people mentioning how their piping skills aren’t great. For this recipe you simply just spread the icing on top of the cakes and they still look great and show that you’ve devoted time and love into making them for your loved one. These cupcakes are simple and quick to make, which is perfect since you’ve only got a day to make them!!
We really enjoyed making these cakes and thought they’d be perfect for a little gift or treat for your significant other. Don’t forget that they don’t just make a great gift for Valentine’s Day, you could make them for your partners birthday or just on any normal day to show them they’re appreciated.